direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

Frequently asked questions

How do I obtain an internship?

There are various ways of getting an internship. We will be happy to give you the contact details of companies where ERASMUS interns have already worked.

Experience shows that our scholarship holders often find placements by doing their own internet research, through private contacts or through contacts known to the respective tutor.

Foreign chambers of commerce, foreign cultural institutions and German firms or organizations with international connections can give you additional addresses. You will find more tips and international online internship exchanges here


What should I be aware of when choosing an internship?

In principle any legal person (company, association, NGO etc.) can act as a host organization (employer). However, funding is not available for placements in

  • European institutions and organizations
  • Institutions or organizations that administer EU programmes

Please note that an internship salary is often an indication of the quality of the placement: "unpaid" is usually synonymous with "unsupervised". Exceptions prove the rule, as in the fashion and design industry for example. Make every effort to obtain financial support from the company or equivalent payments in kind (e.g. lunch vouchers, public transport pass, company housing).

The transnational concept of the EU programme must still be fulfilled: internships should take place in a different cultural and linguistic environment. In the case of dual non-German (or dual) citizenship, applications for funding for placements in the (second) homeland will be given the lowest priority.



In which countries can internships be funded?

Full list of all countries eligible in the Erasmus+ programme.

Internships in countires outside of the European Union are eligbile for funding in the PROMOS programme.


Who can apply?

Students on any course of study at the following universities may apply:

  • Berlin Institute of Technology (TU Berlin)
  • Universitaet der Kuenste Berlin
  • weißensee kunsthochschule berlin
  • SRH University Berlin



Is it possible to receive grants for more than one internship?

Each student has a personal ERASMUS+ contingent of 12 months at their free disposal each study cycle. (Bachelor/ Master/ Ph. D.)

This contingent can either be used for study semesters or internships abroad. The minimum duration of stay (60 days for internships) must be respected, though.

Please note that there is no legal claim for a grant.




Are there specific deadlines for application?

We assess incoming applications on an ongoing basis, although fully documented applications must be submitted no later than 4 weeks before the start of the internship. 


Which documents are needed for the application?

  • Application form
  • CV in German and English / language spoken in the target country / working language
  • Motivation letter in German and English or rather the language spoken in the target country / working language
  • (Copy of) enrollment certificate / student ID
  • Learning Agreement for Traineeships
  • Insurance statement
  • Disclosure of received ERASMUS grants
  • Copy of passport / ID


    How much is the grant?

    Funding through the ERASMUS programme is not a full scholarship but a partial scholarship or a mobility grant. Monthly rates vary according to the country.

    The total amount is paid in two installments (70% at the start of the placement, 30% after your return). 


    How great are my chances of a mobility grant?

    If the number of applications exceeds the amount of funding available, then preference will be given to those applications that concern compulsory internships. We also reserve the right to take the amount of pay during an internship into account as one of the criteria.

    Internships in your home country (return to home country) can be funded in theory, although such applications will be classed as having the lowest priority.

    It is essential to submit documents on time and in full, to provide a convincing cover letter and to ensure that your placement is compatible with your course of study and gets academic recognition.

    Please note that there is no legal entitlement to ERASMUS+ funding and grants are awarded in line with the resources available.


    Can I obtain "AuslandsBAföG" and ERASMUS funding?

    Mobility grants based on academic achievement, including ERASMUS grants, up to EUR 300 are not offset against the (Auslands-)BAföG [loans and grants (for study abroad) awarded under BAfög, the Federal Training Assistance Act].

    You do not apply for the AuslandsBAföG at the Studentenwerk of the home university, but here. 


    Is it still possible to apply after starting the internship?

    Provided that the minimum duration of the placement is duly observed, partial funding for the rest of the placement is possible even if applications are received after it has started. 


    What is the purpose of the insurance certificate?

    For a scholarship to be awarded under the terms of DAAD contracts you must be able to provide proof of adequate insurance coverage - this means accident, sickness and liability insurance - during your foreign internship.

    Note: Many statutory health insurance funds only provide coverage for up to six weeks for trips abroad. We therefore recommend taking out low-cost combined insurance, which is available through DAAD for €32 a month. (Tariff 720/A). You can obtain further information and the insurance form here.



    What should the motivation letter look like?

    The motivation letter should be about one page in length and put forward a convincing argument, in terms of both its content and its language. Make sure that you allow ample time for this task, as it is an integral part of your application.

    The following key questions may help you:

    • Why do you want to do an internship in this particular country and company?
    • Why did you choose this company?
    • How does the stay abroad fit in with your course of study and/or major field of study?
    • What professional aims would you like to achieve with your internship?
    • To what extent does this internship bring you closer to your career goals?
    • What personal promises have you made yourself for your stay abroad?

    Please write the letter in German and English (or the language of the host country). We require a signed original version and a digital version of the letter for our records.



    Can the forms be filled out by hand?

    No! The application form must be filled out by computer.

    Note: Please make sure that the Learning Agreement is not filled in by hand as well. 


    Are there additional funding resources for accompanying children?

    This kind of additional funding is no longer offered for internships in the ERASMUS+ programme.


    How good do my language skills have to be?

    All grant holders must take two language tests online, using the EU-tool OLS.

    • One test BEFORE starting the internship
    • One test AFTER finishing the internship

    Presently the test results do not have any impact on the eligibility of the internship. However the outcome should match the level marked in the “Learning agreement of Traineeship”. If necessary, you will be required to take an online language course.

    Click here for more information.


    Are my travel expenses refunded?

    The ERASMUS programme makes no special provision for the refund of travel expenses. However, copies of travel receipts must be handed in together with the final report on the internship. 


    How do I prepare for working abroad?

    Experience has shown that many interns underestimate the cultural differences in everyday life and at work. Please be aware that even in cultures that appear very similar, as in France, Spain and Great Britain for instance, there will be an initial period of adjustment to different rules and practices in working life and in how people live and relate to one another.

    Our preparatory seminar for foreign internships is run by an experienced instructor. This free course of training is held every semester and lasts for a day. Please book early, as places are limited. 


    How do I find somewhere to live abroad?

    We routinely analyze the relevant comments in final reports written by ERASMUS interns and then gather suitable online information, sorted by country, in a Link list for an accommodation search.


    How do I get a Convention de Stage?

    French companies often demand that a so-called Convention de Stage is signed. The TU Berlin has designed its own Convention de Stage for students, which is issued by the TU Berlin Career Service. This requires proof of insurance coverage and of enrollment at TU Berlin. You can obtain the Convention de Stage on request by email

    Note: We cannot provide this service for interns outside the ERASMUS programme. Please contact your placement officer or arrange a Convention bipartite.



    Zusatzinformationen / Extras

    Quick Access:

    Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

    Auxiliary Functions

    This site uses Matomo for anonymized webanalysis. Visit Data Privacy for more information and opt-out options.